I love baking eggs in the oven. My icon is usually most recognized as the Baked Egg in Oven Roasted Tomato. Well here’s a twist on the recipe replacing the tomato with another fruit: avocado. Roasting the avocado softens the flesh to make for a creamy and satisfying meal at any time of the day.
Yield: 4 avocado halves (Serves about 2)
**Dairy Free, Gluten Free, Paleo
- 2 avocados
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 a lime
- chopped cilantro (1 tablespoon)
- Sprayed baking Sheet, or covered with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
Optional: Mix around with the spices to change up the taste.
- Preheat oven 425 degrees (oven times may vary) ** (see optional note below)
- Slice each avocado in half and remove the pit. Keep the peel on!
- Carve out more of the avocado flesh around the center with a spoon so that it is big enough to fit the egg.
- Place on an oiled baking sheet, or one lined with aluminum foil or parchment paper.
- Squeeze lime over the tops of the avocado and sprinkle salt to taste.
- Crack an egg in each avocado. It’s OK for the whites to spill out along the sides, but just make sure the hole is big enough for the yolk.
Optional: You may cook this at a lower temperature (ie. 350), but the cooking time will be longer. Just keep an eye on the pan and the eggs to make sure they are done. You can check the yolk consistency with a fork.
7) Bake for about 15 min, or until the egg whites have set. You can adjust this time to match your desired egg consistency.
8) Remove from the oven, let cool for a few minutes, and sprinkle with cilantro.
9) Serve warm and enjoy with a spoon!
This work by Eat Nutritiously is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.