Although it looks full of fruit, this green smoothie is masked under the rich red stain of cooked beets. This is the perfect smoothie to make for someone who is afraid of anything “green.”
- 1 cup of kale (or other leafy green)
- 1 celery stick
- 1/3 cup parsley
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 apple (add more or less depending on sweetness preference)
- 1/3 cup (or a few slices) of cooked beets
- Juice from quarter of a lemon
- 2/3 cup water (more or less depending on preference)
Optional, but highly recommended:
- 1/3 cup cilantro
- 1/4 inch ginger, chopped
Blend ingredients, pour out and enjoy! Make adjustments to the amounts of the ingredients to your liking. If you are new to green smoothies, start off with 2 apples and make your way down to 1 or 1/2 as you adjust your taste buds.
Although cilantro is optional, I highly recommend it as it helps detox heavy metals from your body, as do other herbs like parsley.
Ginger is also highly recommended. This spice is known to boost metabolic function and calm the stomach.