These muffins are light, moist and “highly-substituted.” This basically means less sugar, more fruit, less butter/oil, more applesauce, less refined white flour, more whole grain flour and oats. Perfect to store for an on-the-go breakfast or to bring as healthy treats to events. Enjoy!
Yield 12 servings
**Dairy-free and can be Vegan or Vegetarian.
- 1 muffin pan, greased or buttered
- 1/2 cup oats
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup sugar (or other sweetener – honey, agave nectar, stevia, etc)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup applesauce (or vegetable oil)
- 1 beaten egg (or 1 mashed banana)
- 1 or 2 cups berries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Soak oats in orange juice and set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, and baking soda. Blend in applesauce (or oil) and egg (or banana).
- Stir in the oat mixture and gently fold in your choice of berry.
- Evenly pour mixture into baking tins.
- Optional: I mixed together 1/4 tsp cinnamon and 2 tsp sugar with some oats and sprinkled it across the tops of the muffins to give the tops a light *sugary crunch*
- Bake for 18-20min (Note: Oven times may vary). Let cool, remove, and enjoy!